Broward County Public Schools, Florida (BCPS), invites its brightest students to participate in the most advanced secondary school mathematics curriculum available today!
Elements of Mathematics: Foundations (EMF) is an online curriculum in modern mathematics created by the Institute for Mathematics & Computer Science (IMACS) specifically for mathematically talented students.
Qualifying BCPS students may take EMF as their full-time math curriculum while in middle school. Successful EMF 8th-graders earn high school credits in Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry and Precalculus, are well prepared for AP™ Calculus in 9th grade, and qualify for dual-enrollment mathematics classes with the University of Florida.
To qualify for the BCPS-EMF program:
- students must plan to enroll in a Broward County public school (students attending charter or private schools are not eligible for the BCPS-EMF program);
- students and parents sign a form acknowledging that students must maintain high grades and stay on schedule, and allowing the School Board of Broward County to share certain information allowing IMACS to execute the BCPS-EMF program; and
- students complete the first EMF module prior to August 1, 2019 with a grade of 90% or better.
To proceed parents and students follow three steps:
- watch the introductory videos;
- carefully read the list of Frequently Asked Questions; and
- use your Student ID to complete an application.